What supports are available to IFC foster parents?
The CFCS IFC program utilizes a team approach to providing support to foster parents. Foster parents receive support by:
• Family Resource Coordinator – Each family is assigned a Family Resource Coordinator who is familiar with your home, your family, and your needs. They will meet with you in the home, at least, bi-monthly, but more often as needed.
• IFC Social Worker – Each child has a social worker from CFCS assigned to provide thorough case management and support to you and the child. They will visit you in the home each week, help to assess the child’s needs and identify appropriate services, coordinate appointments/services, and be available to provide support and guidance. A social worker will come to your home within 48 hrs of a foster child being placed.
• Trainings - Foster parents are required to complete 20 hours of training per year. The IFC team coordinates free trainings that are held during the day, evening, and on weekends. These trainings insure that foster parents continue to learn, develop news kills, and are kept up to date on relevant topics related to providing care for a foster child. Childcare and a meal are provided.
• Monthly support group – Foster parents gather monthly to share ideas and receive support and guidance. Childcare and a meal are provided.
• Activities – The IFC staff frequently schedule free activities for families and children. These are a great opportunity to build stronger relationships with other foster parents and for children in foster care to build a community.
• Respite – In the event of an emergency or when it is necessary to take a break, CFCS will arrange for your foster child to be placed in another home temporarily.
• Emergency on-call system available 24-7.
Open Your Home To A Child
The need for loving, nurturing caretakers is greater than ever. CFCS recruits and supports new families who can provide transitional and/or permanent care for children who have been referred to the state foster care system. Learn more.
Lend A Hand
Become a CFCS volunteer! We are a small nonprofit with a broad constituency, and we depend on help from volunteers who provide their time or expertise to help with facilities, events and our holiday gift drive. Find out more.
Share Your Story
Serving the community for over 140 years, CFCS has an ever-expanding archive of inspiring stories from our youth, families, staff, donors, and volunteers. We want to hear from you: how did CFCS touch your life? Tell us here.